Tips For The Savvy Creative:
The first question to ask yourself, why do you want to write an Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) exam? Will you power up and become an Adobe All-Star? Will people climb a mountain to listen to your sagely digital advice? Umm no.
The exams are hard, so why take them? I became an Adobe Certified Expert because I teach Photoshop and Premiere Pro, this was a small part of the reason. The real reason, I did it for myself let me explain:
- The exams are challenging and I like a challenge it helps you grow.
- It forced me to look at the software differently, which made me think of new ideas and business possibilities for the software and myself.
- It gave me a sense of satisfaction and a nice boost in confidence which we all need.
- Like it or not the certification is a stamp of approval and any edge you can get in this competitive business helps.
When you push yourself and challenge what you know you will always come out ahead. It is the obstacles in life and how you navigate them that define who you are. So set a goal and achieve it, whether it is becoming an Adobe Certified Expert or running a 10km this year.
How I Successfully Completed The Adobe Certified Exams
I use the software, a lot. If you have less than five years experience with the software don’t bother. Study how the software works, and apply what you have learned through practical exercises. This is the only way the skills and knowledge will be reinforced. Here is what I studied for the Photoshop Adobe Certified Expert Exam:
- The Exam Prep Guide. Make sure you know every point listed in this guide, decipher the sample questions. The way they ask the questions is tricky. This is the hardest part of the exam and this will challenge you to see other possibilities of the software.
- The Software Help Doc. Use this in tandem with the prep guide, I read the whole document. Yes, it is long and dry but very informative.
- Adobe Classroom in a Book. A common theory I heard online is the exams are written, or based heavily, on the material in these books. The books are good but what I found most useful were the exercises. Once again applying what you are learning.
When you successfully complete your exam be proud and let people know, share it on social media. Also attach the Certified Expert badge to your email signature and website. Add your profile to the Adobe Certified Expert Finder, update your Accomplishments on your LinkedIn profile and add it to your CV.
The pay off for completing the ACE Exam will mostly be a sense of accomplishment, but I am a firm believer that things like this work in subtle ways. The boost in confidence you get will be noticed because you will feel better about yourself and project more confidence. So challenge yourself often you are stronger than you know, create on!!